Thursday 4 February 2016

Another sleepless night

Oh well, if I cant sleep I might as well think about my writing. I was trying not to use the computer, trying to let the brain chill and hopefully fall asleep, but I couldn't resist!

I've been working on my sci-fi novella, and finally found a name for my alien protagonist. Imagination defeated I turned to the internet. I looked up some ancient names and found one that fitted the pronunciation patterns I had decided upon for my alien language. When I looked to see what the name had been associated with I found that it was the goddess of a moon of Venus and/or Venus - and my story references that planet. Co-incidence? Did I already know that? I don't care - its a great name and I'm really happy!

I have also been trying to progress Maryland - my novel about the transportation of female convicts to the American colonies in the 1730s.
I have pivotal violent scene in the early part of the book and  keep going back to it. It's the first time I've written such a sexually violent  section and I am almost literally sweating blood over it. Am I over-sensitive? I don't want it to be trite or hackneyed. I want it to be respectful of the victim - after all the writer does not know their reader, they may be a victim. I want it to be accurate but not overly-disturbing. Its probably the hardest thing I've ever written. I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment