Sunday 29 March 2020

Coronavirus - stay home (and write) 3

Hi everyone
Yesterday was day 13 for my other half. We were out of key supplies and I could not get a delivery from any supermarket. I had been trying all week as I watched my medicine cupboard empty of all paracetamol and cold cures and my fridge empty of everything except the milk my husband could no longer drink.

I had no choice but to go out myself. I was feeling fine, a little trouble breathing, but otherwise fine.

I walked to my local supermarket - my phone app tells me it was about 2000 steps to get there, so not far.

To my surprise there was no queue to get in and the shelves were absolutely full - except the pasta aisle. Bread, eggs, chicken, veg and fruit. The dates were not long but there was plenty.
I soon filled my basket and suddenly had no strength to even lift it. Just like that - pouffe and I was weak as a kitten.

I got straight to a till and began slowly unloading my precious cargo. Within seconds I was dizzy, unable to focus and shaking. I got so hot. I was on the point of fainting. A combination of sudden exercise, not eating and lifting a heavy weight a reasonable distance was too much for my lungs and body to cope with. Note to self - if I have to go outside, take a mars bar and a bottle of water.

The staff were superb. They got me a sugary snack and something to drink. A gowned-up first-aider checked my pulse and - at a distance - observed me for 5 mins, checking I was OK

Once I was recovered I was able to pay for my groceries - all neatly packed in my back pack by the checkout staff - and make my way the 2000 steps back. I was home 90 minutes after I'd left the house.

I was wiped for the whole day. But I did get the medicine and food I desperately needed.

Last night my husband actually asked for food. - shepherd's pie. First time in nearly 2 weeks he wanted something. First time in a week I had the ingredients and could actually make him something he wanted to eat.

I am hoping that's the corner turned for him.

Today I woke at 4.55 am. I am in the back bedroom and it doesn't have black-out curtains, so when the sun rises, so do I! The good thing about it today was I was able to get onto a supermarket website and place the long-awaited on-line order. The first time I've been able to do that since this all began. I have had a basket of shopping suspended in the ether for five days. That alone had been a step forward - actually being able to build a basket. Previously as there were no delivery slots, there was no access even to that. I am hoping my vulnerable person registration went through and that's why a  slot came up. I cant possibly go to a supermarket again. I am not strong enough.

So, now I am hoping that the delivery goes ahead on Tuesday.

Needless to say I didn't get any writing done yesterday. Today I am back to working at home (I was actually on annual leave last week!). The plan is to set aside an hour after work. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment